Contributed by: maguro
NOTE1: At this time, a working STM 32 Bootloader driver (Dfu-Util) is the only way for a Mac to update OpenTX to v2.x and above. Once you update your Taranis to OpenTX 2.x you will be able to use the OpenTX bootloader by Mike Blandford. With the OpenTX bootloader DFU-Util is no longer needed to communicate with the Taranis. In the future, FrSky may include the OpenTX bootloader on their shipped transmitters, but at this time that is not the case.
NOTE2: TX is sometimes used as shorthand for ‘transmitter.’
Before you can connect your Taranis to OpenTX Companion for first time , you’ll need to download and run a little program called DFU-Util. If you’ve been using Companion 9X to update your firmware or work with the EEPROM, you already have DFU-Util loaded.
For a copy of this lesson, click DFU-Util Checklist
Step #1: Do You Already Have A DFU-Util loaded?
This section will walk you through how to check to see if you have a DFU-Util already installed on your computer.
- Turn on your computer
- Click on the Apple logo and select “About This Mac”.
- Click on the “More Info” box.
- Click on the “System Report” box.
- Scroll down the left hand column to “Installations” under “Software”.
- Scroll down the right hand window and search for “dfu-util”. If you see “dfu-util” like the image above, CONGRATULATIONS! You already have the correct driver and you’re ready to download and install OpenTX Companion and OpenTX.
- If you don’t see the image above, proceed to the next Section to download and install DFU-Util. If you see the above image, you’re golden, and you can click HERE to move on to the next lesson:OpenTX Companion.
Step #2: Downloading and Installing DFU-Util.
In this section, you’ll download the latest version of DFU-Util and run it to install the driver that we need to run OpenTX Companion on a Mac. It isn’t really rocket science, although there are a couple of things you have to do to make things work right. Don’t worry! We’ll walk you through them.
- First, you need to get the driver. Go to the OpenTX Download Page at: http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html“.
- Choose dfu util 0.7 for Mac, Taranis flashing utility at the bottom of the page.
- Click on the blue Download Link to begin the download. You’ll be prompted to save the file. Select: Save File. REMEMBER WHERE YOU PUT IT!
- Once the download is complete, navigate to where you saved the file.
- Double-click the file to begin the driver installation. Your Mac will ask for permission to allow the file to change your computer. Enter your system password to allow the change.
- The first screen you see will be the Introduction window. Click “Continue”.
- The next step is to tell dfu-util where to install the driver. Click “Install” to install the driver in the standard location (this is where OpenTX Companion will look for it).
- Next you will see the “Install dfu-util” Screen. It will go through the installation and at the end present you with the following screen.
- Click the “Close” button.
Well, you’re ready. You’ve gotten the correct driver installed, and now it’s on to downloading and installing OpenTX Companion. Return to the OpenTX University web and select the next lesson.